pkgme-devs team mailing list archive

Re: pkgme for extras

Hi Allison,

First of all sorry for the delay in replying. I was somehow not
subscribed to the mailing list.

> I've written a step-by-step guide for new devs on how to change the
> default output of dh_make to what we need for Extras apps:

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppReviewBoard/Submissions/PackageQuickStart

> It would be wonderful if I could replace all those instructions with a
> single pkgme command. Do these requirements look like they would lend
> themselves to a pkgme backend, or an added option for existing
> backends?

This is very much the sort of thing that pkgme was designed for, so I'm
confident that we can make it work. Also, I think it could be very
useful for gettting packages in to extras, so I'm keen to help make that
happen.

I think that we could make a backend that worked for extras. The only
thing is that having a backend for a target, rather than for a
particular type of source doesn't really fit the model of pkgme, as it's
unlikely that it would produce working packages for many types of
package.

However, I think it's a good place to start, and will be the best way of
learning about the shortcomings. It may be that we want to evolve it in
to an output format specifically for extras, or perhaps just make these
things the default for everything.

Were you thinking of trying to write the pkgme backend yourself? If so
then http://pkgme.net/doc/backends/index.html might be of help, and I'll
be happy to help you wherever needed.

Thanks,

James