puredyne-team team mailing list archive

scvim, and "Recommends" deps in p:d

Hi -

The scvim breakage is really simple to solve, it just needs
vim-addon-manager installing. But I want to ask yall about something.
In the supercollider control file, scvim lists "Recommends:
vim-addon-manager" and ubuntu policy is for "recommends" things to be
installed by default. I take it this isn't the p:d policy since it
isn't installed. (Also other things I bugtracked - unhtml, w3m-el -
are listed as "Recommends" items so I see now what was going on.) Is
it deliberate?

Ideally I'd keep the ubuntu and the p:d packaging fairly well
synchronised. But there's this packaging difference. A few different
ways it could be resolved:
 - tweak the control file specifically for p:d, promoting those items
from "Recommends" to "Depends".
 - tweak the control file for ubuntu generally, in the same way - a
bit wrong since they aren't technically full dependencies.
 - add things like vim-addon-manager to the explicit list of packages in p:d.
 - p:d could add "recommends" things by default.

Would like to know what you think.

Cheers
Dan
--