pyexiv2-developers team mailing list archive

pyexiv2 wishlist

Hi,

I'm using pyexiv2 in a project of mine, and I'd like to list my current
wishlist items. I'm curious if they're happening already, and if not, if
there's something I can do make things happen faster.

* XMP read and write: I would like to import and export image meta data
in this format to be compatible with other software that uses it.

* Parsing of Exif headers: I have not been very happy about the current
Exif header parsing. My app stores the Exif headers in a database (for
quick access). Image.__getitem__ returns different kinds of values
depending on the header, and Image.interpretedExifValue returns a string
whose formatting I am not always happy with (e.g, "F1.4" instead of
"f/1.4"). I'd like to have access to less interpreted kinds of values so
I can format them myself. I may also need to set the Exif headers in
more flexible ways than currently is possible, but I haven't yet
experimented with this, so I'm not sure. Possibly this will all apply
for IPTC headers as well.

Once these things work I will also need to have them included in
releases of major Linux distros so my app can easily depend on them.
Would these features be best done in the 0.2 branch if so, when is that
expected to land in distros?

I'm willing to help on these features, but before I dive into the code,
I thought I'd ask what the current status and plans are.

Follow ups