pyexiv2-developers team mailing list archive

Re: pyexiv2 0.2.0 released

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Olivier Tilloy <olivier@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Stani,
>
> On 2010-03-25, Stani <spe.stani.be@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I had a quick look and it looks really good!
>
> Thanks! Let's see if it proves as good as it looks :)
You'll know.

>> Reading the documentation, I have the following questions:
>> - Are raw_value extracted lazily or all they all extracted with
>> metadata.read()?
> What ImageMetadata.read() does is basically to call the underlying
> readMetadata() method of the Exiv2::Image class, so from pyexiv2's point of
> view, the raw values are lazily extracted upon request.
Good. For Phatch we use pyexiv2 in two ways: lazily for batch
processing (eg adding geodata, writing one tag, ...) or dumping all
properties for the image inspector.

>> - Does metadata.copy also copy previews?
>
> No. It optionally copies EXIF, IPTC and XMP metadata, but not the previews.
OK, no problem.

>> - Does tag.value give unicode strings of tag.raw_value if eg some
>> chinese is stored in the tag?
>
> No conversion is performed for EXIF and IPTC tags (it should ideally be
> done, there are some FIXMEs in the code).
> For XMP, a conversion is attempted. I haven't tested anything with Chinese
> characters, though. I'd be curious to see how it behaves.
For Phatch we do our tests with Arabic characters:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~stani/phatch/trunk/files/head:/tests/input/

It helped us to discover a lot of bugs.

> For IPTC tags, see also the related
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/pyexiv2/+bug/461847.
>
>> We are finishing the Phatch 0.2.* releases (our last stage is Windows
>> and Mac installers) and for Phatch 0.3 we will use this.  We got
>> requests for XMP support, so it will be nice to integrate that.
>
> Yeah, I can't wait to see pyexiv2 0.2 used in a real world application to
> stress it a bit!
Well as Phatch will be available on Windows and Mac, it should get
even more testing audience ;-)

>> Olivier, I don't know if you looked to the Phatch image inspector but
>> it is a GUI frontend to pyexiv2 ;-) It allows you to edit metadata in
>> a grid for images individually or collectively (by row).
>
> I remember looking at it when it was in its early stages of prototyping. I
> wanted to write such an application at some point, but you've been faster :)
>
>> Congratulations with the new release!
>
> Thanks, keep up the good work on Phatch!
> I was writing to Robin earlier today, and mentioning that I'll be happy to
> help in porting Phatch to pyexiv2 0.2, just let me know when and how I can
> help!
Ha great, thanks for the offer! I'll keep it in mind. I hope you won't regret.

Best regards,

Stani

--
Phatch Photo Batch Processor - http://photobatch.stani.be