pyexiv2-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Introduction to my aims... and query on a glitch...

Hi Philip,

On 2010-09-03, Philip Graham <philip.graham567@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> The first time around after install and getting around the initial "mt"
> error, running python in the terminal, I got the error "undefined
> symbol: _ZNK5Exiv27ExifKey3keyEv" when trying to import the pyexiv2
> module the very first time.

I have never observed this issue myself, but I know that Rob Healey has,
and it seems that upgrading dependencies fixed the issue somehow.

> This error is unintelligible to me as I am not familiar with c++
> programming. I am attracted to the Python bindings as I am attempting to
> build an app for myself with pygtk to replace "f-spot" (see note below:).
> Retracing my steps of preparation, I found that I had unintentionally
> built and installed exiv2-0.20 being the most recent on that site. I
> have now uninstalled exiv2-0.20 and installed a fresh build of exiv2-0.19.
> After again running the scons and then the scons install against the
> exiv2-0.19 version, then running python in the terminal, I still get the
> error "undefined symbol: _ZN5Exiv25ErrorD1Ev" (slightly different) when
> trying to import the pyexiv2 module.

>From the list of packages installed on your system, you have exiv2 0.19
(0.19-1), but libexiv2 0.18 (0.18.2-1). That’s suspicious. It may very
well be that pyexiv2 was compiled against one version of libexiv2, and
another version is loaded when trying to import pyexiv2, causing the error.

I would try to completely uninstall all version of libexiv2 (including
those compiled and installed locally, e.g. in /usr/local/), install
either 0.19 or 0.20 (either should work just fine), and retry compiling
pyexiv2. Note that the latest version is available in
pyexiv2-developers’ PPA at
https://launchpad.net/~pyexiv2-developers/+archive/ppa (for Lucid and
Maverick).

> Are there some rogue files left over from the previous install? How do I
> uninstall all of pyexiv2 any version and then re-install? Is it just a
> matter of deleting the pyexiv directory and the shared object file
> libexiv2python.so in /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/...?

Yes, that should be enough to completely uninstall pyexiv2 from your
system. The build log you attached lists all the files being installed,
and there’s no additional magic involved. Note that you can install
pyexiv2 locally (for the current user only, and without the need for
admin privileges): `scons install --user`.

> I have included my scons build log, the error text when in Python,
> details of the packages installed on my system, summary of my system.

I hope this helps, please let us know if it does solve the issue, and
don’t hesitate to ask here for any question related to building/using
pyexiv2.

> Background note:
> I am digitising a legacy collection of 10,000 Kodachrome_25 35mm
> transparencies with original dates that are meaningless when displayed
> inside a modern app like "f-spot" or "digicam". I wish to have the
> option of displaying the thumbnails and previews in filename order as
> this is how they have been named and saved when manually scanned in high
> definition raw mode. The date of creation when scanned is meaningless in
> the timelines as used in apps receiving downloads from digital cameras.
> But I was discouraged when I looked at the C# code in "f-spot" as to
> what to change to create the filename thumbnail display to govern an
> order of display. In the scans I embed full descriptions of subject
> matter along with the copyright and date definitions using the power of
> EXIF tagging. Presently I use the perl-based 'ExifTool' on the command
> line, but I would really like to do this under Python hence my interest
> in in your excellent pyexiv2.

That should be pretty straightforward to achieve with pyexiv2.
As an anecdote, I started this project because I wanted to fix the
DateTime tags in pictures that either didn’t have one or that had a
incorrect one because the photographer couldn’t be bothered setting the
date/time on his camera correctly…

> I do not understand the obsession with timelines in the current crop of
> digital photo apps. Surely there are enough of the large number of
> colour transparencies being scanned in to warrant the option of
> filename-based displays in suitable display-management apps?

Those apps are as good as what their authors want them to do… And it
seems that in this field every single person has a different opinion on
the best way of organizing their pictures collection. I myself haven’t
found the perfect application to suit my needs…

> Greetings from the newbie
>
> -PGG-

Cheers,

Olivier