pytagsfs team mailing list archive

Re: xattr metastore: an initial attempt

Hi Raph,

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 05:43:21PM +0200, Raphaël Droz wrote:
> You'll find attached an initial attempt to create an xattr metastore for
> pytagsfs.
> It's far from perfect but basically working.
> I'm really in need of advices about the _right_ way to implement bases
> classes from pytagsfs.

You are on the right track.

The pytags utility was a bit of a hack and was written specifically for mutagen
rather than as a general front end to the pytagsfs MetaStore API.  We have
changed this, so now it supports arbitrary metastores.

The MetaStore API itself consists only of the "get" and "set" methods.  You do
not need to define "extract", "inject, "tags_class", etc.  Those were
implementation details of the mutagen module that the pytags utility happened to
use.  I think you can simplify your module now by dropping them.  You should
also be able to drop SimpleXAttrFile unless you have a reason to keep it.

Let me know whether that makes sense.

> I would also appreciate clarification about "cp -r" / "mv" support.

Hm, I'm not sure what clarification you are looking for.  Can you be more
specific?

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
rapidrollout.com / alittletooquiet.net / pytagsfs.org