python-quantities-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Temperature conversion bug and known issues

Hi Darren,

On Jul 11, 2009, at 6:44 PM, Darren Dale wrote:
Please take a moment to consider the following, which is included in the tutorial at http://packages.python.org/quantities/user/tutorial.html :

---
One final note: Quantities is not a package for describing coordinate systems that require a point of reference, like positions on a map or absolute temperature scales. Proper support of coordinate systems would be a fairly large undertaking and is outside the scope of this project.
---

I would argue that the current behavior is correct, because quantities assumes that degC (for example) is a temperature difference, not an absolute temperature. So I would opt not to apply this patch.

Hmm, I think I read this note when I first started using quantities, but I completely forgot about it. I agree that this feature would be pretty difficult to add and understand why it'd be out of the scope of this project. (Now that I think about it, I can't imagine how one would distinguish between temp differences and absolute temps).

However, I think this would be a common "gotcha" for users who want to convert temperatures, and deserves a slightly more prominent mention than the note above. FWIW, I would suggest putting the "One final note" under a restructuredtext admonition (maybe, "important" or "attention" with appropriate styling to give it emphasis).

I would rather not include the discussion about interpolation, since this does not seem specific to quantities.

I agree it's not really a quantities issue. I actually added it to issues.rst before realizing that it wasn't an error caused by quantities and probably should have removed it subsequently.

Thanks for your feedback.
-Tony