Bugs, icons and bugs

Hello,

Because we found several bugs in version 0.3 including at least one
crashing the program, I planning version 0.3.1 as bugfix release for
the 8th of July. So it would be nice if further bug reports (maybe
just through the mailing list) and translations updates could be made
till then.

Concerning the problems with Qt not picking up any icon theme: I
contact the Gentoo-Qt team and got an instructive answer:

>> P.S.: Some users that do not use GNOME or KDE report that Qt does
>> not pick up any icon theme and always falls back to using
>> "hicolor" even though several of them are installed. Preliminary
>> research suggests that this is a rather common problem without an
>> easy solution. How do you recommend to configure the Qt icon
>> theme without using GNOME or KDE components? Thanks for your
>> advice.
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> unfortunately QIcon supports retrieving the current icon theme
> only under KDE or Gnome, have a look at
> QGuiPlatformPlugin::systemIconThemeName() in
> src/gui/kernel/qguiplatformplugin.cpp.
>
> I think the best solution is reading the current icon theme using
> DE-specific methods and setting it using QIcon::setThemeName(),
> otherwise Qt will fallback to "hicolor" as you've correctly said.
>
> Best regards, Davide Pesavento

Hence I added the possibility to specify an icon theme in the
configuration file, i.e. setting "iconTheme=lxde" in the section
"mainWindow" of "qpdfview.conf" should instruct Qt to use that icon
theme. I think that this isn't a good solution, but a stop-gap
measure. But still... Testing by affected users (Andi?) would be
appreciated (trunk revision 354).

Besides that, the future branch, i.e. the version of qpdfview that 0.3
should have been, is coming along nicely. Even though some features
are still missing (most prominently search), testing for stability
should already make sense.

It also has a new persistent bookmark mechanism that only bookmarks to
the precision of a page but can be stored if enabled in the settings.
I would be interested in comments on that. (And yes, it will display a
warning if a bookmark cannot be opened instead of silently removing
it, because volumes could be just unmounted and such.)

The branch also features a 40% reduction in code size and should
decrease memory usage. (The page cache can now be disabled completely,
i.e. bet set to size zero, and its limit will be global and strictly
enforced.)

Best regards, Adam.

Follow ups