Re: Improving annotations

Hello Dmitrij,

Am 04.09.2013 11:56, schrieb Dmitrij Lisov:
> Hello!
>
> Qpdfview is a very convenient and fast pdf viewer, especially with
> the implemented annotation feature, which, nevertheless, could be
> improved. Therefore I suggest the following:
>
> 1. The annotation text icon should be moveable and deletable. 2.
> The highlighted text should be deletable.

Making the text icon movable seems useful, but I am not I would
currently find the time to do this. Maybe someone else would, so this
would probably be a useful single wishlist bug report to be triaged in
the bug tracker.

Concerning deletable annotations, they are already deletable but we
had until a bug report preventing that context menu from being shown
until recently. [1]

> 3. Ideally, there should be an undo/redo function regarding
> annotations, triggered by Strg+Z and Strg+Y respectively.

This also seems useful, but a rather voluminous undertaking and way
beyond my current time budget. Not sure if this on a suitable scope
for a wishlist bug yet.

> 4. Currently, the borders of the left and right highlighted area
> are round. Please make them, so that you can highlight chosen
> passages with a vertical line. This isn't possible now, since a
> vertical line will look ellipsoid.

> 5. It would be very useful to have different highlighting colours,
> but I think this will be difficult to implement.

This should already be possible in current versions: There is a
setting called "Annotation color" on the behavior tab where each user
that is part of a collaborating group can choose a different color.

Of course another useful improvement would be an extended annotation
dialog where not just the text but also properties like author, date
and color can be changed for each annotation individually. This seems
like a useful wishlist bug to be triaged as well.

> 6. There should be a sidebar (F9), that will show all annotations
> in a document. 7. Annotations should also be indexed and found by
> the search function (Strg+F) or maybe only in the sidebar - this
> should be easier to implement.

Not sure these two a within qpdfview's scope as the project aims to
keep it rather simple. (Even though we have like a gazillion settings
by now... :-\)

> 8. That's the most important feature request: Show a save dialogue
> when closing a document, if annotations were added before.

This is already planned and will probably be tracked in the bug report
[2] when/if there is any feedback there. (Or I'll just reuse the bug
report after preparing the 0.4.5 release...)

> 9. Split the annotate function into two independent functions -
> highlight text and annotate - so that separate shortcuts could be
> defined.

I am not so sure whether the additional interface clutter is worth the
slight reduction in access time.

> I think, that these suggestions will hugely improve qpdfview.
> Please let me know, what you are thinking of them and if it's
> possible to implement them.
>
> Thanks in advance and a huge thank you for maintaining and
> improving qpdfview!

Best regards, Adam.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1214526

[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1217470