Re: [Question #238109]: Auto refreshing seems not working

Adam Reichold proposed the following answer:
Hello again,

well if the file is deleted and a new file with the same name created,
it strictly speaking isn't refreshing the file. (The new file is located
in a new filesystem node which is not the one qpdfview watches, so it
won't get any updates after the deletion of the old file.) So IMHO, the
best solution would be to change LaTeX build process to update the file
inplace.

If you wan't to work around that using the timeout, just try to increase
"autoRefreshTimeout" (in section "[documentView]") from its default
value of 750 (milliseconds) to something larger until your use case
works reliably. (The timeout controls how long qpdfview will wait after
the last notice that the file changed until it will try to refresh. Any
new event will restart that the timer, so a long inplace update of the
file is no problem as long as change events are generated by kernel at
least every 750 ms.)

Best regards, Adam.

Am 26.10.2013 18:46, schrieb jchain:
> Question #238109 on qpdfview changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/qpdfview/+question/238109

> jchain is still having a problem:
> Thanks for your fast reply.
>
> I found these happened:
>
> 1) 'touch' the pdf file immediately triggered refreshing. perfect.
>
> 2) When I compiled my latex file to pdf, there was a short time (several
> seconds, a large latex project) that the pdf file was deleted. When the
> newer pdf file was made, qpdfview lost the track and stopped refreshing.
> I had to manually press 'F5'
>
> So, I guess the problem may be the frequent auto-refreshing rate of
> qpdfview and a relatively long 'pdf-disappear-time'.
>
> Do you have a suggestion on setting the autoRefreshTimeout?
>
> I use qt4.8.5.

qpdfview, which is an answer contact for qpdfview.