[Question #693711]: qpdfview and Symbol fonts

New question #693711 on qpdfview:

Hi,

after upgrading from opensuse 14.2 to 15.1, I have noticed that after compiling groff files with Symbol fonts (I cite for example \[la], \[<-] and \[md]) the resulting pdf file shows blanks instead of the required Symbol fonts. The same pdf opened with Acrobat Reader on a Windows platform shows the characters regularly.

I think this is not a bug of qpdfviewer, because also xreader shows a crossed rectangle in place of the Symbol characters, but how can I resolve this? What are the fonts that I must install on my Linux?

Any help?