quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Running quickly applications outside ubuntu

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 09:43 +0000, tony byrne wrote:
> Proposal #1
> Simplify ubuntu-application until it runs on the pygtk family only
> Proposal #2
> Make the root template gtk-application and make ubuntu-application
> descend from it like this

Or Proposal #3: Fork ubuntu-application. (though obviously this gets
less good as the amount of shared code goes up)

I don't think #1 is a good option, because it wouldn't wholly help your
use case and would weaken the usefulness of the template.  It will still
be Ubuntu centric (debian packaging) but require opt-in for some of the
niceties of Ubuntu integration.  So you'd still need to rpm-ize it
somehow.

I imagine that long term, it's easier to move template code into the
quickly python library for use in multiple templates than create
complicated hierarchies of templates.  (would we allow multiple
inheritance [1], how often would we correctly guess where a bit of code
belongs, would it make it easier or harder to write templates)

So I'd say start fresh.  And if you find yourself wanting functionality
from ubuntu-application, move some of the code to the shared quickly
namespace.

[1] Consider if we go the route of #2.  Now what happens if I want to
write ubuntu-application-vala?  I want some ubuntu bits but no python
bits.  Or ubuntu-application-kde.

--
mterry