quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: DesktopCouch and gsettings

Was there not a work item in Precise to remove desktopcouch from the ubuntu-application template?

Cheers, Rick

On 12/24/2011 01:49 PM, tony byrne wrote:
Hi all
  I'm aware that DesktopCouch is not ready for the next release of
quickly. However I think there is a need for more than one type of
persistence in projects. If you look at persistence in xdg --
freedesktop.org, available via GLib as
glib.get_user_cache_dir() (~/.cache)
glib.get_user_config_dir() (~/.config)
glib.get_user_data_dir() (~/.local/share)

It seems that ~/.config could contain unessential info like recent files.
~/.local/share contains essential info like contacts database and
could be enhanced by backup, history and sharing. DesktopCouch and
gsettings seem good for this storage.
I often use preferences based on storage in ~/.local/share/ for speed,
DesktopCouch is slow and unnecessary for every project.
My point is that one-size-fits-all persistence usually becomes a compromise.