quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Overwrite branch

On 27/06/12 02:52, Didier Roche wrote:
Can we generate some kind of sha of the files (like previous versions) and bail out (asking if the user want to proceed the upgrade or block the command for now) if the file to overwrite doesn't correspond to the blessed version? For the first round, as we probably don't want to list all the file sha checksum of files we supported in the past, we just ask telling "those files are now considered considered as being owned by Quickly, please be aware that we will upgrade them automatically for now on. You changes are still saved and you can revert them to move your code in other files in..."

What do you think? This will avoid making reverts on user code without him being warned.

I've updated the branch to do a couple things to avoid losing user code and making the user aware. Now it will print a note that it is upgrading the code and will checkpoint the code before we touch anything in bzr.

So again, here's the workflow for this branch:

0) User is a happy user of Quickly 12.04
1) User updates to Quickly 12.10
2) The first time the user runs quickly, they will see:

Note: This is the first time you have run Quickly since it has been updated.
Quickly will now upgrade its files (bin/*, test_project_lib/*, and setup.py).
But first it will save your project.  View Quickly's changes by running:
bzr diff

3) User can revert any changes they don't like

Is this acceptable? Avoiding needing upgrade logic for every change to Quickly-owned files makes us more nimble and less error prone.

https://code.launchpad.net/~mterry/quickly/overwrite/+merge/111315 <https://code.launchpad.net/%7Emterry/quickly/overwrite/+merge/111315>

-mt