quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Reboot Quickly?

Hi Angelo,

I was the one who started the reboot during UDS-R.  The rationale was
that the original quickly's ability to allow template scripts to be
written in any language ultimately made it very hard to write new
templates.  The reboot would make all template scripts Python, and use a
proper class structure so that new templates could be written very
quickly by inheriting from others.

I had originally planned on making quickly vcs-agnostic, so you could
use it with git instead of bzr if you wanted.  However, so many of
quickly's commands specifically targeted Launchpad, and features that
are unique to Launchpad (PPAs), that it became impossible to make a
clean break.

I was able to get a number of Quickly's commands working in my rebooted
code.  However, I chose Python3 for the new version, and when I got to
the commands that needed to access Launchpad I got stuck, because
launchpadlib doesn't support Python3 yet (one of it's dependencies is
the root of the problem).

If you want to pick up where I left off, my code is at
https://launchpad.net/quickly/reboot and you can read the series of blog
posts I wrote about it at http://mhall119.com/tag/quickly/

Michael Hall
mhall119@xxxxxxxxxx