quickshotdevs team mailing list archive

Re: Quickshot planning and structure

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 12:28 +0100, Tommy Brunn wrote:
> Welcome everybody to the Quickshot mailing list. Since we're all pretty
> much on opposite sides of the earth, I figured this would be a more
> reliable mode of communication than to try to catch each other on IRC.
>
> I wanted to talk about the current structure of the Quickshot
> development team and the plans we have for the future of Quickshot.
>
> The only information that we have written down about what we want
> Quickshot to be and how it should work is horribly out of date and
> frankly just not that relevant anymore. At least the technical
> specification needs to be updated to reflect the current state of
> things. I wouldn't mind doing it personally, but sadly I just don't know
> the specifics of how everything is going to work.
>
> Therefore I would like someone to go ahead and write down the short
> version of how stuff should work, and what things we still need to
> figure out.
>
> Examples that come to my mind are:
> - Server-client communication.
> - Storing screenshot information on the server (things like whether or
> not it should be a full screenshot or just a portion of the screen, what
> applications should be running, etc.)
> - Moderation of submitted screenshots.
> - Listing needed screenshots.
> - Level of screenshot automation (should we launch the needed
> applications for the user? Should we change the language automatically?
> Etc.)

I can say that we currently support changing resolutions with nvidia
propriety driver, nouveau, i915 driver, xrandr open. The more outputs of
lshw -C display and if  xrandr -s 800x600 works for them.

> There are more things I would like to touch on, like the structure of
> the development team and the current development schedule, but as this
> message is already getting kind of long, I'll save that for later.
>
> Live long and prosper,
> Tommy Brunn

I can help with research, designing the gui and testing but the python
work is way above my skill level.

Luke Jennings (Ubuntujenkins)