randgen team mailing list archive

Re: Randgen all-inclusive test

Roel,

At the risk of sounding flippant - "Good God, No" ; )

It can be pretty tricky to 'dial-in' a grammar to generate interesting *and*
valid queries, so we often limit a grammar to a targeted area.

To get an idea of how complex a grammar can be, I suggest looking at the
optimizer_subquery grammars.  Just trying to produce *some* nasty subqueries
is a hairy mess (of course, it was also one of my first stabs at grammar
writing...).  Grammar writing is often a trade-off between variety and
validity (ie if we try to cover a lot of ground, we are also likely to
produce a higher percentage of queries that are short-circuited before
exercising any interesting code - like WHERE 'a' = 1 or somesuch)

Also, the way the randgen works, we would have to run a test for a *very*
long time to ensure that you cover everything (ie that the randgen hits
enough of the possible queries).  It just tends to make more sense to write
smaller grammars that focus on certain areas.

Hope this information helps,
Patrick