randgen team mailing list archive

Re: Performance improvements for the RQG

On 11/21/2011 04:42 AM, Philip Stoev wrote:
Hello,

I have been disappointed that the RQG seems to take all the CPU while it
is running, so I set forward to profile the script using Devel::NYTProf
and fix any hotspots.

I have now pushed a few commits on the subject. Query generation should
be 50% faster than it was before and _string(N) generation should be
twice as fast.

The only drawback is that I had to refactor random string generation to
use strings as buffers and not arrays. This means that only a-z strings
can be generated from now on. I could not find any locations in the code
or grammars where non-ascii strings were being used, so I assume it is a
worthy trade-off for the major speed improvement that was achieved.

If you have observed any other performance issue that you would like to
see fixed, let me know.

Philip Stoev