rapid-users team mailing list archive

Re: 0.4.3 released

Thanks a lot for this most excellent piece of sw, Damon!

On Sat Jan  7 at 23:53 (-0600), you wrote:
> I'm hoping  the next release will allow assigning metadata values like
> copyright,  location, subject etc. to photos.

+1

Though it won't be easy to do it in a way that makes sense for all
applications out there. Copyright may not be too difficult, but some
metadata isn't handled in exactly the same way everywhere. And if you're
considering putting the info in an xmp sidecar, do note that not
everybody uses the same naming convention. I believe the most common one
is Adobe's, where they replace the raw extension with xmp for the
sidecar, but darktable *adds* .xmp to the original filename. So, for
example, dsc_0001.nef would come with dsc_0001.xmp in the former scheme
and with dsc_0001.nef.xmp in the latter.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm all for it. Any kind of metadata is
better than no metadata at all.

Thx again,
Thomas

--