rapid-users team mailing list archive

New beta version for your testing and feedback

Hi everyone,

I have prepared a few changes to the upcoming version 0.4.5. Perhaps the most important is that I have increased the speed at which the program scans fast devices by only displaying the thumbnails once the scan is completed. This can make a very substantial difference when downloading thousands of files from a fast device. I thought of this optimization when fixing an important and closely related bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/rapid/+bug/1014203

To make it clear to the user that the scan is running, the progress bar now pulses, and the number of photos and videos found is displayed as a running total.

If you have time and interest, please test this new feature and let me know what you think of this change. I have not uploaded the tarball to the launchpad website. However, for Ubuntu users, it should soon appear in the "Rapid Photo Downloader Testing PPA". If you have not already added this to your list, then from the command line you can do it like this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dlynch3/rapid-photo-downloader-testing
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I recommend keeping the regular Rapid Photo Downloader PPA too. You can use both, and the Ubuntu package manager will automatically choose the highest version.

This is the full change log:

To increase performance, thumbnails are now no longer displayed until all
devices have finished being scanned. To indicate the scan is occurring, the
progress bar now pulses and it displays a running total of the number of photos and videos found. If scanning a very large number of files from a fast device, the progress bar may pause. If this happens, just wait for the scan to complete.

Fixed bug #1014203: Very poor program performance after download device changed.
The program now displays the results of scanning files much quicker if the
program's download device preferences are changed and a scan begins of a new
device.

You can now specify via the command line whether you would like to automatically
detect devices from which to download, or manually specify the path of the
device. If specified, the option will overwrite the existing program
preferences.

Added extra information to debugging output.

Fixed bug #1014219: File Modify process crashes if program exits during
download.

Damon

--

http://www.damonlynch.net