rednotebook-users team mailing list archive

feature suggestions and a bug

Hi,
Since purchasing a laptop last year I have come back to using Rednotebook for all my notes, as I had been using Evernote for a couple years because I was writing most of my notes on my phone. Rednotebook is still the best and my favourite journal app, and I was really impressed to see the dictionary added into Rednotebook.

After using RNB again for the last 6 months, I have a few feature suggestions that would make RNB more convenient for me, plus I think I found a bug.

_*Feature Suggestions

*_*Faster journal switching*
I am frequently swapping between 3 or 4 different journals, and to keep my desktop uncluttered I prefer to only have one instance of RNB open. It would make switching between journals much faster if in the "Journal" menu there were quick links to each journal, perhaps a history of previously opened journals.

*Hot links to other days*
Often I will write further updates to an entry, weeks or months later, and I prefer to write the update on the actual day I write the notes, and not add it onto the old entry. It would be handy to be able to put a link in one day's entry that will link back to the previous relevant entry's day, and will auto navigate to the linked day when clicking on that link.

*"AND" Searches*
To be able to do AND searches, so can find only entries that have all search words. When I do a one word search there will be many results in the search pane, and to narrow the search results it would be handy to only show entries that I know I had two or more particular words in it.

*Tag optional entry field text given more room in the Search Pane*
I do not use hash tags at all in the text body, but put all my tags in the Tag Pane, because I think hash tags in the text body are messy and ugly, and also because text that is displayed in the Search Pane from the Tag "Optional Entry" Field is more useful than the bit of random text that gets displayed if using a hash tag in the text body. When entering Tags in the Tag Pane, quite often I will enter several lines of text in the Optional Entry Field, and when doing a search this text will extend well beyond the width of the Search Pane, and I will often grab and widen the Search Pane to see all the text entry. It would be really convenient if the text wrapped around onto another line in the Search Pane, or alternatively, was overlaid across the screen when mousing over it.

_*Possible Bug

*_*Faulty Calender Navigation*_*
*_I really like how clicking and holding on the calender navigation arrows will rapidly advance forwards or backwards through the months or years. I find this feature very handy to quickly go back 10, 20, or 30 years, to add someone's birthday or some such data from years ago. However, I think there might be a bug with this feature, because sometimes it will just stop working, and only advance one year at a time per click. If I hold down the "go back in years" button, it will advance rapidly through the years, and then if I press one click in the other direction to go forwards, it will then become stuck, and only advance one year at a time in either direction. If I click the "Back" or "Forwards" buttons a few times it seems to reset and then be able to go-fast again. I am using PortableApps version 1.11._*

*_Regards,
Michael

Follow ups