rednotebook team mailing list archive

Re: Features needed, Python newbie

Am 03.03.2011 04:32, schrieb Dave R:
I have just started using this program, and appreciate it immensely.
Since my work computer is Windoze and my home systems are Linux, the
(clean!) cross-platform usage means that I can transition between work
and home nicely with just a memory stick.

I am an experienced programmer, but I have never worked in python.
Could somebody point me to the proper files to make the following
changes/feature additions to the word cloud functionality:

- I need a bit better way to manage the "excluded words" list.  I keep
adding words, and I would like to be able to edit them as an alphabetized
list so I can add extended forms (plurals, etc.)

- Set up a synonyms list, where I would input a "canonical" word and its
synonyms.  These synonyms would be lumped together under the canonical
word in the word cloud, and the search function would return search
results for all of the synonyms when one of them is entered.  For bonus
points - this is probably tougher than the rest of it put together -
allow for a multiple-word synonym.

Example - not from my job: A project for an airplane engine modification
could be referred to as "F-16", "F16", "AB modification", "10-2133"
etc. and it would be nice to have all of those terms show up in the cloud
under 10-2133, the project number, and when the project number is clicked
on in the cloud, the search returns references to all of the synonyms.

Since some of the data going into the diary page is cut-and-paste from
other people's e-mails, I cannot always control how they reference the
subject under discussion, but I need to be able to search for those
references anyway.

- Be able to (probably a checkbox on a menu somewhere) ignore the
apostrophe-s ('s) on the end of the word when generating the word cloud.

- Right click on a word in the cloud or diary entry and add it to the
excluded list or a synonym entry.

As an engineer, I use this program on a daily basis and enjoy the
functionality of it.  These requests grow out of my need to "hone"
the word cloud functionality to speed up my searching process.

Thanks, all.
Hi,
elcome to the team ;) Those are interesting ideas! Currently there are two cloud implementations in the code: a legacy one that will be purged soon (lives in rednotebook/gui/main_window.py) and the newer one based on webkit (lives in rednotebook/gui/clouds.py). Please make sure you use the new one. The searching happens in rednotebook/data.py.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Jendrik