relinux-dev team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #182358]: plymouth crashes at boot time on relinux-ed iso

Question #182358 on relinux changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/relinux/+question/182358

michael s gave more information on the question:
I'm not aware of any change apart from that.
The theme I tried to set up, has been created and installed with super-boot-manager.
Even setting a standard theme lead to this failure.
So it seems the major problem is caused by "sudo update-initramfs -u", not by plymouth itself.
As long as I don't touch the kernel with update-initramfs, the produced live cd works just fine, but only with a simple ubuntu boot splash sequence.
I tried "sudo update-grub2" afterwards, but that did not help.
I also tried (inside relinux script) cp /lib/plymouth $WORKDIR/dummysys/lib/  (maybe thats not all that needs to be copied).

I looked up what the tainted kernel means and found proc/sys/kernel/taint which says 1024.
But it was 1024 and 3.0.0-12-generic even before running update-initramfs.

The super-boot-manager advised, there might be a problem with booting unless the a provided fix is installed too.
That also did not work, and would have affected the host system too, which runs quite normally with arbitrary plymouth themes.

As a "work around": I would be happy if I just could replace the
background color and ubuntu logo with own grafics, but I guess that
always needs updating initramfs , does it?

relinux development team, which is an answer contact for relinux.