Re: rohc

Hi,

> I found that there are two main function in this library,one in
> test.c and another in tunnel.c,what's the difference between them and
> which one I should use??

The ROHC library on its own got no main() function. The library is a
collection of functions made available for applications. Only
applications got a main() function.

The source code of the library is stored in the src/ directory. The
test/ directory contains programs (with a main() function) that help
testing the library. The app/ directory contains the applications (with
a main() function) based on the library. Currently only the ROHC over
UDP tunnel application is available. The examples/ directory contains
small programs to help people writing their own program.

Which main() function should you use ? It depends on the application
you want to run. If you want to test the library code for potential
regressions, run the non-regression test application. If you want to
test the library with real-world network streams, please setup a ROHC
over UDP tunnel with the tunnel application. If you want to do
something else, write your own application that uses the library.

Some FAQ entries you may find interesting:
 - How to run library regression tests ?
   https://answers.launchpad.net/rohc/+faq/636
 - How to easily test the ROHC library with ROHC tunnel ?
   https://answers.launchpad.net/rohc/+faq/639
 - How to use the ROHC library in your own program ?
   https://answers.launchpad.net/rohc/+faq/638

If you got questions about these FAQ, ask them on this list.

> These days,I successfully transplant the library in VC++6.0,but I
> don't know how can I input a packet and get the output, I don't know
> whether I should use other softwares such as etherpeek?

I don't know VC++6.0 nor Windows development very well. I suppose that
VC++ generated .dll files for the 3 library parts and binaries for the
test and tunnel applications. Am I right ?

I did not know etherpeek, so I searched a little bit on the web and
found that etherpeek is a network analyser. You can not use etherpeek
directly with the ROHC library, it does not work that way.

You have to use an existing application (or write your own application)
that uses the ROHC library, make this application transmits ROHC packets
through your network card, then use etherpeek to capture the packets
and analyse them.

Regards,
Didier Barvaux