Re: [Question #162063]: Separation of Compression Profiles

Cedric Baudoin proposed the following answer:
Hi,

Actually, the IP/UDP compression is based on the fact that some UDP fields
can be deduced from IP header fields. ROHC achieve high compression gain
thanks to redundancy between fields of same layer (e.g. UDP) for a given
flow AND by redundancy between fields of the various stacks (e.g between IP
and UDP and RTP).
So you can of course use some of the techniques used in ROHC for an UDP-only
(i.e. without IP) but probably won't be as efficient if you don't consider
the whole header stack

Best regards

Cédric