Re: [Question #171022]: Regarding SO state of ROHC

nninan proposed the following answer:
First of all rohc is point to point, secondly the packets (ROHC compressed) are encapsulated into unicast packets (tunnel) and then sent from one machine to another, the router will not see the compressed packets.
At least this is my take on it.
Nikhil

On 15 Sep 2011, at 20:35, Bins wrote:

> Question #171022 on rohc changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/rohc/+question/171022

> Bins is still having a problem:
> Thanks for the reply Didier,
>
> As a part of the school project I am doing IP header compression and I was looking through the code of the test application tunnel.c .
> I am planning to intercept the IP packets through netfilter  and then pass the buffer to ROHC , compress the IP header and then issue an ACCEPT verdict and send the packet back to the kernel. On the receiving end take the decompressed packet from the kernel , send it to ROHC to decompress the packet , send it back to kernel and issue a ACCEPT verdict.
>
> I was able to run the tunnel.c application successfully between two machines connected wirelessly.
> I am not very clear with one concept ie how is the routing handled? The router cannot keep any context right ?
> Since the source and destination address fall under static fields and they are sent only in IR packets in the initial state. But how does the router figure out where to send the packets while the FO and SO packets are sent ? In that state we are not sending any source and dest info.
>
> Any help will be really appreciated.
> Thanks in advance
> Bins
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a member of ROHC
> Team, which is an answer contact for rohc.

Nikhil Ninan
Research Student
Electronics Research Group
School of Engineering