Re: Ethernet Transport app for ROHC pkts

Hi Didier,

The Ethernet based transport application for ROHC pkts is very similar in
concept and implementation to rohctunnel app, because I wanted to keep
error simulations, stats collection and usage same. However it uses link
layer Ethernet transport instead of IP/UDP. Aim was to provide similar and
easy alternate to someone looking for a link layer transport to conserve
more bandwidth by avoiding UDP/IP header overhead e.g. over point to point
links without gateway/router in between.

Merging the two will complicate the code and confuse usage. Keeping them
separate will help them evolve independently without fear of breaking the
other.

Examples of evolving the apps, that I am thinking are :-

1) ROHC multiplexing to combine multiple ROHC pkts in single transport pkt
to conserve more bandwidth.
2) Keep Alive msgs between Compressor and Decompressor so as to clear the
context or restart when other side restarts or crashes.
3) Service monitoring.

--Raman