Re: ROHC robustness (Was: Re: Fw: Linux kernel support)

> a/ Compressor & d-ecompressors are directly connected through wire.
> Netem queue add losses for compressed traffic which send out fromthe
> ethernet interface at compressor end.Furthermore, UDP/IPv4 traffic
> (periodic pattern) is generated from compressor towards de-compressor
> through MGEN.

So, it's probably very regular. The packet loss shall not cause damage
on packets after the loss.

> b/ The mode which i have noticed through packet traces is O-mode.
> Because there is no periodic updates.

The ROHC library performs always periodic refreshes, even in O-mode.

> e/ The de-compressor fails for a consecutive number of packet drop
> e.g. 30 or more than 30 packets which is understood thing. But
> the surprising thing is that some time compressor goes back to a
> lower compression state (IR or FO) to send more information to the
> decompressor without error recovery request. It is like periodic
> refresh or time out period at compressor for a queue packet
> loss/delay. I cannot say it as periodic update because it is not
> unidirectional mode.

There are periodic refreshes in bidirectional mode. You can check the
hypothesis by looking at the library traces. There are dedicated traces
printed when periodic refreshes are performed.