Re: What is the best practice for RTP packet send with rohc?

Hello,

> If the real media stream is composed of G.729a voice packets,and we
> have payload 20 bytes per rtp packet.originally,we construct the rtp
> with the 20 bytes payload,and sent to the socket.
> now my question is:
> with the pure rtp packet,no udp and ip is assembled,what is the best
> practice to do with rohc?
> do we need utilize a tunnel or any other method like raw socket to
> transfer the date efficiently to the voip peer? we make sure the
> ip/port of peer is reachable by negotiation.

Packets of type "RTP/data" are not supported by the ROHC protocol nor
the ROHC library. Only "IP/UDP/RTP/data" or "IP/IP/UDP/RTP/data" is
supported, with IP = IPv4 or IPv6.

Compressing only the RTP header is feasible in theory, but that
compression profile is not defined by the ROHC standard. It is not
defined because it does not match a "real life" behaviour, and because
the ROHC protocol can compress IP/UDP/RTP as efficiently as it would
compress RTP only.