Re: [Question #233262]: can rohc run in fedora? how to get rohc-tcp src?

I built rohc and iprohc on redhat 6 machines which should be remarkably similar to fedora

________________________________
 From: Didier Barvaux <question233262@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: rohc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, August 5, 2013 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Rohc] [Question #233262]: can rohc run in fedora? how to get rohc-tcp src?

Didier Barvaux proposed the following answer:
Hello,

> I want to run rohc-1.6.0.tar.bz2 on fedora 8, your said "On Fedora 8, it
> probably runs but I never tested (and cannot test).". what means? why
> cannot test?

Fedora 8 was released in November 2007 [1]. It is not supported anymore
since January 2009 [1]. I cannot test the ROHC library on all OSes that
existed one day. It probably works fine. Try it. If you encounter a
problem, tell me. I'll try to provide you some help.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/Schedule

> second, I have downloaded "~didier-barvaux_rohc_main-r776.tgz", is it
> included "rohc-tcp" and all others protocol header(IP、udp、RTP、esp
> and so on) ?

Yes.

> can ~didier-barvaux_rohc_main-r776.tgz run fine ?

Yes. It is not a released version, so there is always the risk to have a
regression, but all tests run fine on all systems the library was tested
on.

> third , I have taken two weeks to comprehend RFC about rohc, now
> I want to comprehend the source code of rohc, how can I begin to
> study it well ?

Start with the rohc_compress2() function in the code. That function is
the entry point for ROHC compression. Read the code of the function.
Then read the code of the functions the rohc_compress2() function calls.
And so on. The code contains many comments and references to the RFCs
related to ROHC. Keep an eye on the RFCs while reading the code.

>   last , I want to build didier-barvaux_rohc_main-r776.tgz to my fedora8 , run it well and test it , how do it ?

See http://rohc-lib.org/wiki/doku.php?id=library-install-sources
#native_build_on_unix-like_systems

You cannot follow the instructions blindly because you don't use a release version, but a snapshot of the dev version:
- step 1: do it
- step 2: do it
- step 3: skip it
- step 4: adapt the name of the archive
- step 5: skip it
- step 6: adapt the name of the directory
- step 7: replace ./configure by ./autogen.sh
- steps 8-10 : do them