Re: [Question #249424]: Can Rohc run in Android?

Didier Barvaux proposed the following answer:
> I want to know how to integrate the rohc library with the andriod
> kernel in order to compress all IP packets,I need your help.

The Android kernel is a modified Linux kernel, so you can probably (I
didn't test it) build the Linux kernel module of the ROHC library and
use it to compress packets in the kernel.

For the linux kernel module of ROHC, see the configure option --enable-
linux-kernel-module on http://rohc-lib.org/wiki/doku.php?id=library-
install-sources-options   The instructions are for a standard Linux
kernel, not an Android kernel, but it should work the very same way. It
will give you a rohc.ko module that you hopefully will be able to load
in the Linux kernel of your Android device.

Then, you'll have to make something useful of the ROHC library in the
kernel. Indeed the rohc.ko module embeds all the ROHC library in the
Linux kernel, but it does nothing by itself. You have to write some code
to get packets from somewhere (a network interface for example),
compress them, and then send the compressed packets somewhere else
(another network interface for example).

An example is provided with the rohc_test.ko kernel module located aside
the rohc.ko module in the ROHC sources. This module waits for packets
written on a /proc file, compresses them and writes them back on another
/proc file. The rohc_test.ko module is to be used with the
test/non_regression/test_non_regression_kernel.c test tool.

Hope this will be useful!