Re: rohc-lib 1.7.0 - problem with new return values (rohc_status_t) and lost tcp packets

Hi Sean,

> Thanks for the patch to fix the return values, it appears to work
> after some testing.

Great! I'll commit it.

> > Does the assertion looks like the below?
> >   rfc4996.c:438: d_ip_id_lsb: Assertion `ip_id_offset == value'
> > failed.
>
> > If yes, the assertion seems wrong. I've a work-in-progress patch to
> > better handle IP-ID compression/decompression in the TCP profile,
> > but it was not ready in time for the 1.7.0 release.
>
> Yes that was the assertion I was receiving. Will the patch be ready
> for 1.7.1?

I hesitate for 1.7.1. The patch will change the way the IP-ID is
encoded in the ROHC packet, so it would make versions 1.7.0 and 1.7.1
enable to exchange ROHC packets. I prefer to commit the fix in the
master branch for the next 2.0.0.

I'll work on the patch (maybe this weekend?) and send it to you for
testing if you agree.

> As a part of my testing I also tried the kernel module tests which
> appear to be failing with or without the patch - all of the non
> regression tests are failing. I suspected it has something to do with
> the new feedback system and it appears that there is no code to
> insert feedback in the test kernel module. Is feedback supposed to be
> prepended in rohc-lib to support the old API or does the test kernel
> module need some alterations?

You're right, the Linux kernel test doesn't handle feedback any more, so
the non regression tests fail. I'll fix that this weekend. Don't
hesitate to give it a try until then, that's a good exercise for the
new library API :)