samsung-x360 team mailing list archive

my x360 linux experience & support for brightness keys

Hi,

I've recently bought Samsung X360 and tried to install the latest Linux
Mint 7 (based on Ubuntu Jaunty)
I can confirm that with the default kernel
- 64bit stable kernel still reboots on the stage "Loading hardware
drivers...", but I've managed to boot ubuntu karmic alpha2 amd_64 without
problems (but there are lot of bugs related with the distribution itself)
- for 32bit kernel brightness keys are not working by default
- intel video is slow
+ sound, wifi are working out of box correctly

To make linux know the keycodes for brightness, I've added X360
description to the samsung devices description in HAL:
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-misc.fdi :
<match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.hardware.vendor"
prefix_ncase="samsung">
        <match
key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.hardware.product"
contains_outof="NC10;SP55S;SQ45S70S;SX60P;SX30S;R59P/R60P/R61P;Q210;Q310;X05;X360">
After reboot, linux understands the brightness keys, and after
  xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL legacy
they change brightness.
The problem is that they do not generate unpressed key events. There are
patches incorporated into the kernel for other Samsung laptops with the
same problem, but not for X360. It is not a big deal to add X360 support
in atkbd.c, it is only a matter of adding a few lines:
{
  .ident = "Samsung Q45",
  .matches = {
    DMI_MATCH(DMI_SYS_VENDOR, "SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD."),
    DMI_MATCH(DMI_PRODUCT_NAME, "X360"),
   },
   .callback = atkbd_setup_fixup,
   .driver_data = atkbd_samsung_keymap_fixup,
}
I've recompiled kernel with this patch and have brightness keys work
correctly.

If anyone could help me to contact kernel developers and HAL developers,
we could have support of X360 out of box in the upcoming linux releases.

- To have linux see all the 4Gb of memory I've tried to install
linux-server kernel - it works ok.

- Video driver issues are related with Intel video chip, I've tried to
follow the instructions in
After upgrading to the 2.6.30 kernel the video is working considerably
faster, but suspend to RAM restarts X on resume, and server extensions to
make linux see full 4Gb cannot be enabled (until kernel version
2.6.31-rc2)

Thank you for your attention
Sergey