Re: XLS import is nice, but...

Hi, I am not sure if I understood all the details, but it seems that
you are discussing my choice of Section entry format, and suggesting
an alternative that would make a lot more sense in your case.

Now the tricky part with sections is mostly that - some schools (at
least Lithuanian, and now I see that German ones) have some
constraints that must be satisfied, or some cases that just do not
make sense, which allows for an easier more compact Students +
Sections + Courses + Timetables format, the problem is (and that's why
current formatting is being used) you can convert most if not any data
format into the one Schooltool uses for import, while a compressed
format being more convenient, can't express 100% of cases possible.

Now what I don't like about our current way of presenting sections
(Title, Term, Course, list of members, list of teachers) is that it is
very verbose and you can't easily "explode" alternative formats into
it in excel without programming. So if you have a list of students
with Courses in columns, making that into a list of sections with all
the students in the section listed, well, honestly - I have no idea
how to do it...

On the other hand, I would assume that creating a
python/perl/java/C#/Visual basic script that would verify the
constraints that you have and produce the output that schooltool
expects should be possible, and gives you the benefit of picking the
programming language and evironment ;)

Ignas