Fwd: results from UDS?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Sutherland <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: results from UDS?
To: Tom Hoffman <tom.hoffman@xxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 09:58:56AM -0400, Tom Hoffman wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Did any Zope packaging news come out of UDS?

Hi Tom,

I was waiting till the packages were actually uploaded to Debian before
believing it and letting you know.

As it stands, Fabio and I had quite a few meetings, where we agreed that
we should upload the ZTK packages in a form more or less based on what
schooltool uses at the moment.

I updated the site with the policy we agreed will be using:

   http://pkg-zope.alioth.debian.org/

I've also prepared a number of packages in our company repository and
have a buildbot that runs their self-tests:

   http://packages.vanguardistas.net/pkg-zope-buildbot/waterfall

This repository is public and built against debian lenny, feel free to
upload the packages to a PPA if you want.

So that's the good news, the bad news is:

   * Basically we'll only be uploading the ZTK packages at the bottom
     of the dependency tree first, those that have been through the
     great dependency refactoring. I estimate we'll get up to
     zope.publisher before hitting serious dependency issues.

     Unfortunately schooltool needs packages much higher in the
     dependency chain than that...

   * Although Fabio has agreed to this policy and has been doing quite
     a bit of work on the packages he's very busy with his day job and
     has yet to upload the packages to Debian proper.

   * There are some test failures in the ZODB (see the buildbot) and
     such that I don't understand and since we don't use the ZODB, am
     not inclined to spend a lot of time investigating.

Anyway, it'll be a slow process to get these packages uploaded and
tested, but hopefully we'll have a rock solid ZTK stack in Debian and
Ubuntu at the end of it.

--
Brian Sutherland