Re: Help with school tool download..

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 17:49, Gediminas Paulauskas <menesis@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2009/12/19 GAUTAM anand <gauttham@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi,
>>        I am planning to administer a small school in India. But I m getting
>> very confused as to how exactly can i download the SchoolTool software from
>> your site. Is there any version of this software compatible with the windows
>> platform? Please help me in this regard.
>
> It could be better documented what to download, but basically it is
> http://ftp.schooltool.org/schooltool/1.2/
> or available from
> https://launchpad.net/schooltool/+download and other projects' launchpad pages.
>
> However, we develop and support SchoolTool only on Ubuntu. See
>
> http://book.schooltool.org/htmlhelp/system-requirements.html#why-ubuntu-only
>
> We do not know how to run it on Windows.
>
>> Any help will be duely appreciated.
>>
>> With Thanks and Regards
>> Gautam

It is possible, but is a difficult task really. I have accomplished it
once, took me like 3 hours to do it... The most trouble you'll get is
compiling:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.ucol/1.0.2

you need visual studio (some *specific* version, 2003 or 2005 I can't
recall) or specially cofigured mingw for that, and all the required
headers + libraries. So unless you feel comfortable with compiling
C/C++ libraries on windows it might be easier to just get a vmware
image of ubuntu and install schooltool on it...

Ignas