Fwd: Weekend report

Sorry, should have included all the developers originally..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alan Elkner <aelkner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM
Subject: Weekend report
To: Justas Sadzevicius <justas@xxxxxx>, Tom Hoffman <tom.hoffman@xxxxxxxxx>

Hey Guys,

This weekend I met with David's brother on Saturday and started
showing him how we develop schooltool.  We also were able to discuss
the object model and even nailed down the interface for the most
complex object, CourseInfo, which has twenty-one different attributes,
a couple of which are lists.

I was hoping to sit down with him today and show him how we write
views, but he was not well enough to make it.  It was a shame to have
lost that opportunity.  In lieu of doing that, I proceeded with adding
the first view with a whole for Jerry to fill in.  I'll have to guide
him along the way, naturally, but he does have until August to deliver
the final product.

I'd like to talk about the design in detail at tomorrows meeting
rather than try to describe it here.  I pushed my branch to
lp:~aelkner/schooltool/schooltool.courseinfo.  David created a set of
instructions for Jerry with my help, so that should get him started.
The fact is, he has a lot to learn about ubuntu, bzr, python, zope,
not to mention schooltool, so we'll see how his learning curve goes.
David said that part of this project is to see just what it takes for
a new developer to come up to speed.

Justus,

could you please look at my branch, and in particular, see why
bin/test runs both unit and functional tests, yet bin/test -u and
bin/test -f seem to only run the functional tests.  You'll note that I
thought I needed code to add the schoolyear container, then it seemed
to ok to remove it.  Maybe I got confused because bin/test -u was not
failing when bin/test would fail in the unit tests.

Talk to you tomorrow,
Alan