Re: Headless Selenium stests

2012/5/16 Douglas Cerna <douglascerna@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hey guys.
>
> I just wanted to share something I did today that I really liked.
>
> I've been porting some of the gradebook's ftests to Selenium stests, and the more I run the tests the more I hate Chrome popping up above my Gnome Terminal. And the 'Always on top' functionality doesn't help much because the window loses focus sometimes. Has this happened to you?

Yes, this annoys me too. I have not written any stests yet, so I avoid
running them at all.

> Anyway, a few days ago I found this article [0] about running Selenium 'headless'. Since it seemed "so easy" today I decided to give it a try.
>
> All I did was adding pyvirtualdisplay to setup.py (which in turns has like 4 more dependencies) and modified the SeleniumLayer class to start/stop the display on setUp/tearDown. (Here's the diff: http://pastebin.com/HNc5tkZB)
>
> And now the stests run without Chrome bothering me!

Hope this setup can work on server, to run stests on buildbot. These
test are not run automatically in any way.

> I don't know yet of any side effects on this or if it's the right configuration, but it would be really nice to have this functionality in our test runner. Maybe with a flag to set visibility...

When something fails, you have to see it, so the "watch windows pop
up" mode needs to be there. Add --headless option to the testrunner or
something.

> In the meantime, I'll try to abstract all of this in to a custom buildout.cfg extension.

This is very useful, do that wherever you see fit.

--
Gediminas Paulauskas