Fab Academy

So we have a handshake agreement to help the Fab Academy use
SchoolTool/CanDo next year, which for them means next January.

http://www.fabacademy.org/

It is a small but global network of sites.  About 70 students total
this year.  AS220 at Providence is one of the sites, Anna Kaziunas
France (I have to ask if she has Lithuanian roots...) is more or less
an academic dean for the whole project -- in particular she's
responsible for academic records, so this is basically her decision.
They're a heavily free software oriented project.

This should work fine running one instance for all the sites.  It
backs up Welsh's request for reports by location, which is fine.  It
may also end up driving a little more focus on, say, clerk permissions
to let remote sites enroll students without being able to, say, modify
course requirements.  Generally, there doesn't appear to be anything
in particular that will be need to be added for them (other than
finishing CanDo).

It is worthwhile for me to spend some time directly supporting them
since it gets me in much better touch with the application itself.
Also Anna has some usability experience and should provide good
feedback.  I'll probably announce it publicly once we start working on
it in the fall.

The big fish to try and land now is the Make/DARPA MENTOR program ->
http://makerspace.com/2012/01/16/darpa-mentor-award-to-bring-making-to-education/

--Tom