Re: reinstall and loss of data

On 10/23/2010 05:57 PM, sudhir gaikwad wrote:
hi tom
          i recently had to reinstall my ubuntu 10.04 and this resulted
in loss of my login as well as my data and school data
so
Q1. ANY POSSIBILITY OF RETRIEVING THE DATA I FEEDED ON SCHOOLTOOL
Q2.BEING A BROWSER BASED TOOL DOES THE DATA GET STORED ON MY SYSTEM OR
Q3. HOW AM I GOING TO RECOVER MY LOGIN,
  how is this going to be solved ?
The data was stored in this database file in your file system: /var/lib/schooltool/schooltool-2009-Data.fs

If the database file was deleted during the reinstall, I'm afraid your data is also lost.

  If you can recover the old file, use terminal to stop the server

  $ sudo /etc/init.d/schooltool-2009 stop

  Copy the file into /var/lib/schooltool/
After you copy the rescued file, use terminal to set the correct access rights:

$ sudo chown schooltool:schooltool /var/lib/schooltool/schooltool-2009-Data.fs
  $ sudo chmod 644 /var/lib/schooltool/schooltool-2009-Data.fs

  Start schooltool again.

  $ sudo /etc/init.d/schooltool-2009 start

Regards,
Justas