scratch team mailing list archive

Re: Scratch in multiverse repository on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

On 01.02.2010, at 14:31, Amos Blanton wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Lucid Lynx, the next version of Scratch, will be on feature freeze Feb. 18.

The next version of Ubuntu you meant :)

> So we'd like to submit a package to be included in it, ready or not, before that date. (We can hopefully submit fixes after that date, but the process gets trickier). Mako has agreed to sponsor it. He suggested, however, that we submit a version of the package that depends on the squeak-vm in the ubuntu repositories (1.3.9.8-3ubuntu3)instead of including its own VM (3.10 - 4 beta #1 dated Feb. 2009), which is how we've done it so far.

Even the latest VM does not include the Scratch-specific plugins yet. I started pushing for this a while ago but haven't spend much time myself on it. Would be good if you Scratch folks would work with the Squeak VM developers and packagers more closely.

> It's easy to switch to using the Squeak-vm from the ubuntu repositories, but it introduces a new bug when Scratch is run under Compiz. It causes the Scratch cat and other sprites to be "see through" ( see attached image ) Note that it's possible to see text on windows underneath the Scratch window through the representations of the icons - but not clearly. Kind of an interesting bug!

I fixed that back in 2008. Was in the 3.10.4 release.

> So it seems likely this might be caused by the VM - but I thought I'd check with you to see if maybe there is a workaround, or some solution that could be implemented in Scratch. If not, can we ask someone to submit a newer version of the VM for inclusion in the Ubuntu repositories?
>
> -Amos

José just submitted the 3.11.3 squeak-vm to Debian:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-squeak-devel/2010-January/000023.html

I think that should trickle down to Ubuntu in time, though I don't know the actual process.

I'd cc Debian's pkg-squeak-devel which deals with packaging squeak-related stuff. Also the Ubuntu Sugar Team. And Squeak's vm-dev list of course where the vm developers hang out. But since you didn't even send this message to the public list at launchpad, I won't.

- Bert -