scratch team mailing list archive

Re: 64-bit scratch package for Ubuntu Linux

On 10/12/2011 03:25 AM, Juha Erkkilä wrote:

According to
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Architecture:

   ... "a list of specific and wildcard architectures separated by spaces" ...

"Architecture: i386 x86_64" might work.

But I was actually a bit too hasty, as I did not check that the package contains
its own squeak_vm binary, so it should not be flagged "all" or "x86_64".
If it would simply rely on an external squeakvm binary, the scratch package could
be made architecture independent.

Yes - that's our goal as well. And we have a version of the package that does just that. Unfortunately, the 64 bit Squeak vm isn't ready for prime-time yet, so we've been told not to depend on it.

-Amos

Anyway, my motive for writing about this is that I am considering trying it out
on a 64-bit setting where using --force-architecture is not a reasonable option,
but if there are issues with the software itself then I think using it only in
32-bit environments is perhaps a better idea.

Juha