scratch team mailing list archive

Re: packaging scratch for fedora -- a few comments and questions

Hi Matt,

Haven't heard much about packaging for Fedora in a while until two separate
threads started up today! Below is message from David Busby, which has
links to his work on an rpm. I'll include it in case there's overlap.

re: mp3 / midi binaries. Thanks, I'll remove those in the next tarball.

For the debian package, it looks like they just removed mp3 support, which
is a good short term fix, but it does mean that many of the sound files in
the sample library cannot be used. It would be great if you could convert
the sound files to .ogg. If you send me a link, I'll use them in the next
source package release.

It's great that there's already a squeak plugin for ogg. Not knowing that
part of the Scratch Squeak code, I'm not sure how much work it'll take to
make use of it - hopefully it's quite simple.

-Amos

David Wrote --------------------------

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Amos. I'm trying to get the effort to package Scratch for Fedora
> restarted.
>
> As I understand from before, MP3 support was the major stumbling block, but
> on investigation, this is really a plugin for Squeak, and not actually
> integral to Scratch itself. (Looks like OLPC ships without it, for
> example.)
>
> In looking at that, I noticed that the 1.4.0.6 source release includes
> _binaries_ of the MP3 and MIDI plugins. Having MP3 at all is a no-go in
> Fedora, but having binary code in the source tarball is just messy. Could
> you make sure to remove these in the next release?
>
> It looks like the MIDI plugin is included in the Squeak VM package itself,
> so I think that's just vestigial.
>
> I might encourge the RPM Fusion people to package up the Squeak MP3 plugin
> for use in jurisdictions where it's allowed. In the meantime, the two
> options I see are converting all the mp3 audio to ogg (which I can do) or
> going the OLPC route and just not shipping it. What are your opinions on
> that? (Ogg also ships with Squeak already.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>

Follow ups