scratch team mailing list archive

scratch gpl licensing -- combining with apache, and gpl v3

Two questions related to the open source licensing. First, the license file
in Scratch says:

   Scratch 1.4 is licensed under the GPL v2. See the included gpl-2.0.txt.
   Under GPLv2 section 2 (and under section 5 of GPLv3 if you elect to use
   GPLv3 for a modified version), all modified versions of Scratch must be
   appropriately so designated. Modified source code files must be
   prominently marked as modified, including date of modification. All such
   information should also be placed in the dialog box that appears when the
   "Help > About" menu is selected during execution of the modified program.

This is ambiguous to me, because the first part specifies a specific
version, rather than the "or any later version" clause -- but then the
parenthetical implies that one might elect to use GPLv3. Could you clarify?

The second question is related. The Squeak v2 image on which Scratch is
built contains code licensed under the MIT license and the Apache 2.0
license: <http://www.squeak.org/SqueakLicense/>. According to the Apache
Foundation and the FSF, one can't combine Apache 2.0 and GPL v2 into a
redistributable binary. However, Apache 2.0 + GPL v3 can yield a thing where
the whole shebang is GPL v3.

Does my understanding of all this seem correct?

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>

Follow ups