scratch team mailing list archive

Re: bug leaving presentation mode with squeak-vm 4.10.2-2614

On 2012-11-24, at 20:55, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi! I'm _finally_ getting all the parts in place for Scratch on Fedora
> Linux. It's all working well, but there's one bug I've noticed: when I exit
> full-screen presentation mode, I get a blank white window which doesn't
> respond to anything. I'm launching Scratch like this:
>
>  squeak -encoding UTF-8 -vm-sound-pulse /usr/share/scratch/Scratch.image
>
> with no -xshm or anything else. This uses the scratch plugin from squeak
> itself, but I'm getting the same behavior when I build the one in the
> scratch source too.
>
> I tried the shift-r trick and turned full screen off; when I return from
> presentation mode, I still get the unresponsive screen (I thought maybe I
> could get a squeak menu in that case, but no luck).
>
> Anyone have any insight or ideas on how to proceed to debug this?

The Squeak VM actually uses two windows, an outer one (which gets decorated by the window manager) and an inner one (which displays the actual Squeak pixels). When going to fullscreen, the inner window gets reparented to the root window. When switching back, it gets put back inside the framed window. There used to be window managers that get confused by this.

You can verify the window containment before and after using xwininfo. The action is happening in platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c, display_ioSetFullScreen(), in case you want to go all gdb on it.

Also, best place to get help would be
http://lists.squeak.org/mailman/listinfo/vm-dev

- Bert -