[Question #144310]: type(somekey, KEY_META) inconsistent

First - thanks; sikuli seems like a very promising concept.
Sikuli X-1.0rc1
On Mac OS-X, Snow Leopard (10.6.6; 64 bit):

3 browsers installed:   Safari,  Google Chrome (set as default), Firefox (3.6.13)

Given the following script:
-----
browser = App("firefox3")
if not browser.window():
    App.open("firefox3")
    wait(5)  # too long, but ok
browser.focus()
wait(2)  # don't think needed, but put in in trying to debug
type("L", KEY_META)
wait(1)
type("www.sikuli.org\n")

Default firefox page is google search page.

WHEN:   I type this manually, I get sikuli page;
WHEN:   I run script (as above), I get "beep", and "www.sikuli.org"  in the google search box;
WHEN:   I replace KEY_META with KEY_CMD  (the mac-specific key),  and Safari (!) opens on occasion (not consistently).