[Question #156879]: time.time(), Set max value to variable

I am using time.time() in order to measure the time between checkpionts in my script.

The problem is that i do not know how long time any of the checkpionts will take. Therefore I can not declare my max value to a pre set number like this:

start = time.time()
max = 100.0                  #Max value

In order to set max into a variable like [i] and that max therefore is unset and unlimited?