[Question #157012]: Reduce usage of if-statements?

I got two versions of the program I am automating. In the different versions of the programs the set of icons is not the same. I want to make a script who is universal and could be used in order to automate both versions.

An example on how a script could look like:

imgver1=(image1)
imgver2=(image2)

if exists(imgver1):
    click(imgver1)
if exists(imgver2):
    click(imgver2)

Is this the best way in order to perform the task? If my scripts getting longer there will be many if-statements.
Can I in some way reduce the usage of if-statements?

TYIA