[Question #178479]: Automation of testing for a set top box that uses a IR remote control

I'm currently working on a project for automation of testing.
I need to test the various functionalities of set top box when connected to a tv or a monitor.
As sikuli could help only GUI based testing, (GUI that is controlled by mouse and keyboard operations), will it help automising the testing of this set top box that is controlled by a remote..
Is there any way of customizing sikuli script such that it automises remote control behaviours like channel up,down and etc.
I have the xml file that has the functionalities of set top box remote.