[Question #183049]: Java heap space memory errors on MacOS X 10.6.8

I have read the previous discussions about Java heap space memory errors, especially those on MacOS X, and unfortunately the workarounds for the errors don't seem to work in my situation.  To start, here are some key aspects of my configuration:

(1) MacOS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
(2) TightVNC connection to Mac machine from 64-bit Windows 7 machine
(3) Sikuli X version 1.0rc3

(4) I have added the following line of code to all of the XML files in my code:

<property name="sikuli.maxmemory" value="2048m">

(5) I set the following property in the Sikuli-IDE.app\Contents\Info.plist file:

<key>VMOptions</key>
<string>-Xmx2048M</string>

(6) Under /Application/Utilities/Java Preferences, I set General > Java SE 6 > Options > Applet Runtime Parameters to:

-Xmx2048m

So, despite making the memory adjustments in #4 through #6 above, I am still getting a "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" error when trying to use the Java API to find an image.  Any suggestions for what else to try?  Is there a call that I can make to determine what the memory settings are at the time of the error to make sure that the propertie(s) are being set properly at runtime?